May 11, 2009

Wholly Guacamole! The Health Benefits of Avocados!


I have been following a whole food eating plan 80% of the time, eating less animal fat and I feel great! Examples are eating an orange instead of OJ, soy beans from the pod instead of tofu, fresh turkey breast not deli meat and so on.

When you eat foods in their whole form, you get the full nutritional benefits! The less processed the better! Interestingly enough, avocados are a fruit! I avoided them for years thinking they were fattening. NO WAY JOSE!

AVOCADOS

I use The World's Healthiest Foods website as a resource often and they say avocados have high fat content, but it is the health-promoting monounsaturated fats, oleic acid and potassium, which have numerous health benefits for the heart by lowering cholesterol and controlling blood pressure and might even protect against breast cancer. Eating avocados also has an anit-aging effect and great for your skin and hair!

Most of the food I eat these days is plain and simple. My favorite snack is a quarter of an avocado on a slice of high fiber bread such as Food for Life brand with a slight dash of salt. I eat this 2 times a day, mid morning/afternoon and before bed. I also enjoy brown rice sushi, no fish, with just cucumber and avocado for lunch or dinner. This is tasty and inexpensive!

There are California avocados and the Florida grown have smaller pits. I find avocados curb my hunger and keep me satisfied throughout day! It has the same rich, creamy taste and texture as mayo too, so a healthier choice for sandwiches! A trick to keep avocados fresh and edible after slicing is to keep the pit in the container with the part you plan to use later.

A fun project for kids is to sprout the avocado pit! Do this by carefully making an X with a knife on bottom of pit, insert toothpicks out the sides to balance over a glass of water. The pit should just touch water, do not completely immersed. No guarantees of course, BUT if sprouts you can plant the pit and watch it grow!

Meal Maven "As Simple as it gets Guacamole!"


Serves 4-6
3 ripe avocados, soft to the touch, mash w fork
1 squeeze of a fresh lime
Fresh cilantro
Dash Kosher salt
Baked/low fat tortilla chips

I love it simple, but add other ingredients such as green chile, fresh salsa, corn, black beans and so on!

No comments: