November 8, 2008

Shortcuts I use Cooking for Myself!

The hardest thing to do as a busy person is plan, shop and cook healthy meals for yourself and family! I cook for other people and I even use shortcuts to make life easier cooking my own meals! I try and eat very healthy 4/5 days a week so I want fast and functional for the meals I plan to eat at home or at work! And since I am already cooking, I might as well make extra to eat for lunch! It's all about planning ahead!

The Time Saver Trick is the Sauce!

For years, I have been searching for low calorie/fat/sodium sauces with big flavor and I finally found Shere Khan products at the World Market Store here in Chicago. The sauces have curry w different ingredients. Some are sweet and others very spicy! Their Korma sauce (sweet w touch of spice)is my favorite and kids love it!

To Preapre for the Busy Week Ahead!

•Each Sunday, I cook a BIG batch of brown rice (NOT the quick cook versions) or quinoa to last me about 4 days to eat for lunch and dinner (8 meals or 8 cups rice if you are cooking for one).

•While the rice cooks for the 50 minutes, I saute 4 organic chicken breasts and/or some extra firm tofu pieces with cooking spray, a small touch of toasted sesame or canola oil.

•I also cook some frozen organic broccoli, edemame or any vegetables you like in microwave.

•All of the above are fixings for low fat protien, high fiber, healthy carb meals that will keep your hunger satisfied!



To Store in Refrigerator:

•When rice is finished, its important to keep it moist while storing in the refrigerator for the week. I divide rice into 3 or 4 containers and mix with different sauces to create a variety of flavors to enjoy for my meals.

•One container I mix with 3 Tablespoons organic, lower sodium jarred green or red salsa, the second 3 Tablespoons of the Shere Khan sauce I mentioned above and the third, 3 Tablespoons of low sodium teryaki sauce I use Soy Vay brand.

•You now have your 3 containers of different flavored rice, one container of the cut up chicken breasts and/or tofu and the container of veggies you cooked in microwave all ready to store in refrigerator!

•I store the leftover Shere Khan sauces in ice cude trays or small containers in freezer!

To Serve is Easy!

•Assemble 1 cup brown rice flavor of your choice on a plate with 1/2 chicken breast, 1 cup veggies and add 2 more Tablespoons of the flavor sauce, mix well.

•Warm in the microwave for 1 minute and your lunch or dinner is ready!

•For the salsa version, I add a little bit of low fat cheddar or mexican blend cheese.

No comments: